In my family chocolate chip cookies and brownies trump all other desserts. And so was born the dirty blondie, offering the best of both worlds!Cookie Layer (adapted from Pinch of Yum) 1 stick salted butter, room temp. ¾ cup white sugar 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed 1 egg 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour ½ teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon salt 1 cup dark chocolate chips Brownie Layer
6 tablespoons butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars in a small mixing bowl. Add vanilla and egg; cream again until smooth. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir gently until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the brownie batter, in a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and chocolate, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool. With a whisk, beat in the vanilla and sugar. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir flour, measure into a small bowl, and stir in the baking powder and salt, blending well. With a wooden spoon, stir the flour mixture into the first mixture.
- Pour brownie batter into a glass 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish. Scatter pieces of cookie dough over the top of the brownie batter. Press gently on the dough just until it starts to sink down into the batter a little bit.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (35 for gooey, 40 or more for fully baked), covering with foil if you need to keep the cookies from getting too brown on top. Let stand for 15-20 minutes and cut into pieces for serving.